Wednesday Fire destroys Collins business | News
COLLINS, MS (WDAM)- Local and state investigators are trying to determine the cause of a Wednesday night fire that destroyed an automotive service business in Collins.
A blaze just after 6 p.m. gutted the L and L Tire and Service World on S. Fir Street.
No one was injured, but fire officials say the building was a total loss. For a time, firefighters who responded encountered not only flames, but also thick smoke from burning tires.
"The tires were the major contributing factor to the amount of smoke that we had," said John Pope, chief of the Collins Fire Dept. "High levels of smoke were noticed by of course, all personnel in the area, then also residents in the area. We were able to mitigate the fire quickly, though," Pope said.
The shop was insured.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Covington County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marion County man dies near scene of car collision with his horse as home burns
- Laundry service to bring jobs to Marion County
- Marion County man appears before judge in Marion County sexual battery case
- Columbia police make daylight drug bust
- Marion County man pleads guilty to fondling a 13-year-old boy